Friday 22 July 2011

Holy Volcanos Batman!

Yesterday was the day that I have been looking forward to the most since we arrived in Hawaii, a bus tour of the Big Island!
We had to be up for 5AM, Yikes, but I was so excited I was up and atom! We were in the air by 7:30 and on the Big Island by 8!  I purchased some “less drowsy” dramamine and that seemed to help the nausea significantly (I didn’t feel sick the entire flight and bus ride).  Our first stop on our Big Island tour was a beautiful waterfall: what a beautiful sight.


We were then on to a macadamia nut farm owned by Hershey, where we were able to see the production line of the factory as well as purchase some more delicious nuts!

The next stop was the black sand beach where we also had lunch.  To get to the beach you needed to walk over top of an old lava flow from 1960.  The sandy area was beautiful, but a bit windy and I don’t know anyone brave enough to climb down through the rough lava rocks to get to the ocean. I really wanted to take some volcanic rocks home but they strongly discourage that plus, we were told a story that scared me into leaving them on the island :S





Then came the Volcano National Park, the coolest experience ever!  While in the park, were told that we were walking over top of magma due to the active status of the volcano that we were on.  While in the park, we got close enough to see the steam coming out of the old eruption site, how cool is that! They had signs that pointed out that the area could close at anytime due to the sulphur levels that were being given off by the volcano so we were pretty luck to be that close.
 
There were areas in the park that had steam vents from the volcano and you could get close enough to receive a “facial” from the volcano.

The lava tub was next.  It was a beautiful and easy hike down to the tube and a very cool experience to know that lava once flowed through the very place where we were in.


We had a quick stop into an orchid nursery where I went a bit picture crazy.  Being such beautiful flowers I just couldn’t help myself! Before we knew it, the day was over and we were making our way back to the island of Oahu.




I would have to say that this was probably my favorite day so far.  We ended it with a quick stop into a New York Pizza Place, where we received the biggest piece of pizza I have ever had the pleasure of encountering.  As big as my head it was!!  My waistline certainly won’t approve, but you only live once right!

No comments:

Post a Comment