Sunday 24 July 2011

Lions, Tigers and Sea Turtles Oh My!

So the plan for today was driving to Hana but after yesterdays zigzag drive to Haleakala, Hubby just didn’t think he could manage.  Quite frankly, I was relieved.  Spending 3 hours (one way) as a passenger in a car that is making hairpin turns and driving on a road only meant for one car driving on it at a time just didn’t sound all that appealing.  So we went to the aquarium instead!  And although I haven’t been to other aquariums before Maui, I would still rate this one pretty high.  They have a very good set up and of course it didn’t hurt to have a hammerhead shark!








It was also at the aquarium where we met a name artist and i just couldn't resist purchasing our name from this talented gentlemen.

Our next stop was one of Maui’s many beaches (this beach was recommended to us again by our wonderful concierge) and where I did some snorkeling while Hubby sunbathed.  I didn’t have to venture far from the beach to find an amazing reef full of life.  It was a bit unnerving to be in the ocean and to see all of these drops and craters where anything could be lurking but I stuck with it and I think I got some great shots with a waterproof camera that was borrowed from my best friends. 
One of the coolest parts from the day was swimming with a HUGE sea turtle.   That is something I won’t soon forget, so graceful and beautiful!
We came back to the Condo and went for another swim in the salt-water pool, and again Hubby was in there like a dirty shirt.
We showered and then took a stroll through downtown Lahaina and watched the sunset on the beach.  The great thing about this area of Maui is that when I say downtown Lahaina, its not like there are sky rises everywhere and people stacked on top of each other to get down the sidewalk.  Downtown Lahaina is more like taking a stroll down the boardwalk in Clear Lake or Gimli, which makes it feel like home.


A bit of a slower paced day but we will be heading to bed early tonight as we have to be up early tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment